- Nonreading is a 3-three-year program divided into 3 modules of learning and wisdom.
- 17 months of course work in the first module, 2 months of project work in the second module, and 16 months of training the technical flair in the third module.
Module 1 (17 months)
- Module 1 features the following topics in the form of written lessons, each ending with a set of assignments and followed by individual feedback.
- PURPOSE AND CONTENTMENT
- A BALANCING ACT
- DISTANCE AND THE CLAY BODY
- GIVING AND RECEIVING
- THINK THE UNTHINKABLE
- HIGHER GROUND
- BEYOND COMPARISON
- THE 4 MIRRORS
- THE GIFT OF CHANCE
- WHAT WE KNOW
- FOUR TRANSMISSIONS | ONE: THE SOFT FACE
- FOUR TRANSMISSIONS | TWO: THE MAGIC MANTRA
- FOUR TRANSMISSIONS | THREE: THE ANCESTOR
- FOUR TRANSMISSIONS | FOUR: THE ONE
- THE OPENING OF THE HEART CYCLE | ONE: THE HEART MIRROR
- THE OPENING OF THE HEART CYCLE | TWO: THE FAIRY TALE
- THE OPENING OF THE HEART CYCLE | THREE: MORE HEART, LESS STORY
- THE OPENING OF THE HEART CYCLE | FOUR: HEART TO HEART
- THE CLANDESTINE SPIRIT
- THREE TYPES OF GRIMOIR MAGIC | ONE: THE MAGIC CIRCLE
- 3 TYPES OF GRIMOIR MAGIC | TWO: THE MAGIC TOKEN
- 3 TYPES OF GRIMOIR MAGIC | THREE: CORD MAGIC
- TANTRIC SELF-ENCHANTMENT | ONE: BREATH
- TANTRIC SELF-ENCHANTMENT | TWO: SOUND
- TANTRIC SELF-ENCHANTMENT | THREE: MOVEMENT
- TANTRIC SELF-ENCHANTMENT | FOUR: PRESENCE
- TANTRIC SELF-ENCHANTMENT | FIVE: ENERGY
- URGENT AND SIGNIFICANT ACCORDING TO THE 22 MAJOR ARCANA OF THE TAROT
- CONNECTION, CONNECTION ACCORDING TO THE 4 SUITS OF A PACK OF CARDS
- ABUNDANT GRACE
A few important books
- The Zen Teaching of Bodhidharma (trans. Red Pine)
- The Heart Attack Sutra by Karl Brunnholzl
- The Platform Sutra: The Teaching of Hui-Neng (trans. Red Pine)
- The Zen Teaching of Huang Po (trans. John Blofeld)
- Instant Zen: Waking up in the Present by Foyan completes the classics.
- The Inexhaustible Lamp by Torei Enji
- Unsui by Eshin Nishimura (on Zen training)
- Dropping Ashes on the Buddha by Seung Sahn
- Zen and Japanese Culture by Daisetz Suzuki
- What Makes You Not a Buddhist by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse
- Cutting through Spiritual Materialism by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche (and all the others he wrote)
- The Crystal and the Way of Light: Sutra, Tantra, and Dzogchen by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
- The Karmapa’s Middle Way by Wangchuk Dorje (trans. Tyler Dewar)
- Tantra in Tibet: The Great Exposition of the Secret Mantra by Tsongkapa
- Vajrayana Dzogchen
- The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way by Nangarjuna
- I am That by Nisargadatta Maharaj (and everything else he wrote, especially the ‘prior to consciousness’ books)
- Ten Thousand Things by Robert Saltzman
- A Manal of Occult Cartomancy and Divination by Arthur Edward Waite
- Fortune-telling by Cards by P.R.S. Foli
- Explainig the Tarot: Two Italian Renaissance Essays by R.S. Caldwell, T. Depaulis, and M. Ponzi
- Marseille Tarot: Towards the Art of Reading by Camelia Elias
- The Power of the Trumps by Camelia Elias
Module 2 (2 months)
The graduate project
Module 1 finishes with a graduate project, module 2.
There are 4 categories of ideas that you can work within and across. Each contains a number of project proposals.
Creative (3 project proposals)
- Create your personal grimoire of cards and magic practices and/or nondualist rituals for life with magic.
- Make your own deck: Major arcana, full 78, or even a Lenormand type. Create designs for the cards, their backs, and consider types of card stock.
- Create illustrations for a set of rituals in connection with 3-4 lessons from the NonReading sequence. This can be in the form of individual images (drawings, paintings, photographs, mixed media) or a form of ‘comic strip’…
Magical (3 project proposals)
- Devise a ritual for initiation into a nondualist practice, using ideas from the NonReading sequence, involving cards and other types of texts (cut-ups). The project would consist of such an object or objects, and an instruction manual for their use.
- Create and document an altar, dedicated to a root-guru and/or guardian or helping spirits you want to draw on in your continued practice. This can be a modification of and documentation of your current altar. The project would consist of images or videos of the altar itself, plus an account for its creation and use.
- Create a sigil, amulet or talisman that will contain and focus the energy you have encountered in the NonReading program. Harness that energy for days when you need it so you can draw on it at will. The project would consist of the object itself, documentation of its making, and a manual or ritual/mantra to accompany its use.
Didactic (3 project proposals)
- Create a teaching sequence for use in one of Aradia Academy’s introductory courses in Marseilles Tarot, Lenormand or Playing cards. This should be a series of slides with examples of ways of reading and/or favorite layouts of cards, and may also include a recorded speak-through of these slides. This will be included in a future course as a guest appearance by a Graduate of AA. Q&A session should also be anticipated.
- Write a chapter or several of a journal or blog-type log documenting your learning process. The text should be targeted towards a beginner in the arts of cards and magic, and be a form of textbook/teaching material for future AA students.
- Create and present a new layout or spread for use in practical card reading at cafés or fairs, or in a private consultation setting. Describe its features and benefits.
Academic (2 project proposals)
- Analyze your learning process in the NonReading program. What were the most effective elements that furthered your learning the most, the fastest, the profoundest? What resistances did you have to overcome, and where were they rooted.
- Draft an essay for publication in a volume on academic fortunetelling. What would you contribute to such a field, and how? What are the sets of preconceptions that academics have of divination and fortunetelling, and how would you address the skepticism of such an audience? One might also consider questions, such as: Does divination work? If yes, how and why does it work? If no, why do people keep practicing these arts?
Project work development over 2 months
- Presentation of your choice of topic above.
- You can combine the ideas across (this is in written form on the blog; writing your ideas helps you clarify your goals).
- Live session with me to discuss how you go about it. Are there any challenges or limitations you meet? What can we do about them?
- Follow up feedback.
- Crafting the project.
- Final feedback.
- Hand in of project.
- Graduation: Celebratory congratulations, a handsome diploma, and a magical gift too, courtesy of Aradia Academy.
Module 3 (16 months)
Trio con Brio
1: The technical flair in cartomancy (6 months)
- You get to work with the cards of your choice as you please, though we follow a structure (Marseille, Lenormand, Playing cards).
- The technical module focuses entirely on consolidating the idea of immediately producing a narrative based on what you see. No philosophy and no tricks. Just working with the cards for the sake of working with the cards.
2: The cultural flair of cartomancy (6 months)
- Here we work with the cards following different divination traditions, history, and the cross between nonduality and Western esoteric mystical and wisdom currents.
- We’ll also look at ‘art cards’ and other cultural cartomantic manifestations than the classical.
3: The table ronde (6 months)
- Here we work with reading cards and sacred texts in a group setting, where several voices and participants come together.
- This is the ultimate cartomancy salon.